Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Doomsday Bunkers

 http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/22/real_estate/doomsday_bunkers/index.htm?hpt=C2

I read this article on doomsday bunkers on CNN today. And a series of questions just keep popping into my mind. I should first clarify my standing that I do believe that the earth/life as we know it will eventually come to an end. It's a very simple concept, planets are born and they die, the earth will die one day, and so will the sun, whether you are religious or not, there are overwhelming evidence that these are facts. So it's a matter of time when our solar system goes out of existence. I suppose the super optimistic can believe that that will only happen after we have figured out a way to live elsewhere.. but I digressed. Here are some of my other questions:

1) There's always been earthquakes, just not as serious, but there have been quite deadly earthquakes even documented in history. The 2006 tsunami in Thailand was even more devastating, so why do people think that an earthquake, a tsunami, a nuclear plant meltdown (a consequence of the earthquake/tsunami, hardly an independent event), and civil unrest in Libya a sign of doomsday? I can't quote you bible, but pretty sure these are not the signs of revelation.

2) Okay, so you bought a bunker, at which point are you going to move into this said bunker? I mean, we are now testing trace (harmless) amount of radioactive materials in the west coast. What if it's a little more than harmless? What can I do? Can the husband and I quit our jobs, pack the cats up, and move to a different state? No, life really goes on as usual until utmost necessary, so how do these people determine when to give up their lives and go live in the bunkers? And, in the event of a natural catastrophe destroying the earth, what's the plan to get to their bunkers before the disaster hit?

3) The company selling these bunkers are boasting a 4-star hotel like living condition. There's medical bay, dental services.... are they staffed with doctors and dentists also? Do they bribe them with free bunkers? Also, let's not forget that 4-star hotels are backed with a lot of man power. It won't be 4-star hotels without the concierge, maid, laundry service, restaurants, etc. In the event that doomsday and fallen upon us, and money became meaningless, how do you even find maids?

Okay, I can see them offering free bunkers to "employees," but once everybody is secured inside the bunker.... what entice them to honor the contract? What will be the consequence if they don't clean the rooms? Jail (also available inside the bunkers), or shove them out of the bunkers so they can die of natural causes?

My questions go on.....

No comments:

Post a Comment